Application Doctoral Degree
In order to qualify for admission to a doctoral degree programme, all applicants must demonstrate that they are graduates of a Master’s degree programme at the HFBK Hamburg or a comparable degree programme at another further education institution and have passed an examination qualifying them to hold a Master’s degree or an equivalent examination with an above-average result, that is, usually with an overall grade of ‘good’ or higher. In case of any doubt, the Doctoral Committee will decide whether or not an applicant meets the admission requirements.
The course of study leading to the awarded qualification must be acceptable as an adequate preparation for the research that the candidate intends to undertake and demonstrate that the candidate is likely to be in a position to achieve the aims and objectives of their intended doctoral degree.
Application Process and Dates
Applications may only be made for commencement in the summer semester. Applicants should follow the procedure set out below:
Step 1: Online Application
From 1-30 September 2020:
Please create an applicant account at CampusNet.
Your application will be allocated a reference number. Please quote this reference number in all subsequent correspondence with the HFBK Hamburg. Your online application is only valid if you also submit a hard-copy application (step 2).
Step 2: Submitting your application
You must submit the following documents in hard copy from 1-30 September 2020:
- Nine copies of a 15-line summary of your research proposal. Each copy should be bound in at the beginning of the research proposal itself, before the main text of the proposal and immediately after the cover sheet (see point 2 below).
- Nine copies of a detailed research proposal including summary of existing research, any preparatory work so far undertaken and a bibliography. Your proposal should be a minimum of 10 and maximum of 12 A4 pages, typed in 12-point font and spaced at 1.5 lines with a 3 cm margin. Please number all pages and ensure that each copy of the proposal is bound, listing the title of your research proposal on the cover sheet together with your own name and that of your supervisors and including the proposal summary (see point 1).
- Academic and artistic CV.
- A copy of your university degree certificate.
- A summary of your academic attainments to date together with a list of research publications (if applicable) and/or a record of your artistic works (one hard-copy portfolio, no additional copies required).
- A declaration stating whether or not you have already undertaken a doctoral degree and/or doctoral examination at any other university or have applied to undertake such a degree.
- Print-out of your online application.
You must also include statements from two professors declaring that they are willing to act as your supervisors. The primary supervisor must be from the Department of Theory and History.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, it is unfortunately not possible for us to return your application documents. Please therefore do not send originals. Should you be admitted to a doctoral degree programme at the HFBK Hamburg, we will then ask you to submit your documents as certified copies.
You may submit your documents either by post (in which case the date of the postmark will be recorded as the date of submission) or during opening hours at the porter’s lodge, Lerchenfeld 2, 22081 Hamburg up to 30 September 2020.
Please make sure you have included your application reference number on all your documents and make sure that the number is clearly visible.
Applications after the deadline will only be accepted if they are submitted at the request of the HFBK Hamburg.
Submission by Post
Hochschule für bildende Künste Hamburg
Your Reference Number
An Lerchenfeld 2