Application Painting/Drawing, Stage Design, Time-based Media, Sculpture
For formal questions, e.g. about documents, about the application process:
- Students Office
- Room:Wartenau 15, Raum 01 / 06a
- Phone: +49 40 428 989-270 / -335 / -269
- Fax: +49 40 42 89 89-377
Current Opening Hours
Due to the measures taken to contain the Covid 19 pandemic, there will be no presence hours until further notice. We are happy to help you electronically: Please contact us by e-mail or telephone. In case of need, appointments can be arranged.
For questions related to the content:
- Steffen Voigt
- Room:144a Le
- Phone: +49 40 42 89 89-388
Requirements for Admission
A higher education degree is required to be admitted to the Master study programme »Fine Arts« with the degree title Master of Fine Arts. Applicants who do not have a higher education degree at the time of application but who will acquire one in the six months following the end of the application period may also apply.
Applicants must also demonstrate an independent artistic position during an entrance exam.
Proof of proficiency in the German language is not required.
Application process + dates for painting / drawing, stage space, time-related media, sculpture
Applications are only possible for the winter semester.
The following application steps are required during the application period from February 2, 2021 to March 5, 2021, 4 p.m. (deadline):
Step 1: Online application
Please create an applicant account in CampusNet. As soon as you start your application, it will receive an applicationnumber to which you can refer if you have any questions.
Step 2: physical application folder
- Approx. 20 self-made artistic work samples (please submit not only prints but also originals) from the last two years. Of three-dimensional works, please submit only photo prints. All works must be labelled with name and date of creation. The format of the application folder should not exceed DIN A0.
- For the major field of study "Painting/Drawing", printed illustrations (DVDs or sticks only for digital works or films) and an appropriate number of original works are required. For applications from abroad, provided that a written explanation is enclosed with the application, original works may be omitted and only photo-prints may be submitted instead.
- A draft for an artistic project, which is to be pursued as a focus of study
- A printout of the online application (in your applicant account in CampusNet -> Application -> Print view -> Strg (Ctrl)+P -> print)
- Curriculum vitae in German or English language
- A passport photo
- A certified copy of your university degree
(Certificate or, if applicable, provisional certificate from the respective examination office)
Applicants whose university degree(s) were not written in German or English must also attach a certified copy of their original certificates with a translation in German or English.
Submit the application folder - postal only:
Due to developments, it is not possible to submit the application portfolio in person. Please send us your application portfolio by mail between February 2 and March 5, 2021, no later than 4:00 pm. Please affix your application number clearly visible on the outside of the folder.
All documents must be received at the HFBK Hamburg no later than Friday, March 5, 2021 at 4:00 pm. Applications received late and/or by e-mail or subsequently submitted documents cannot be considered.
Hamburg University of Fine Arts, Lerchenfeld 2, 22081 Hamburg
Urgent recommendation for shipments from abroad: Do not indicate an amount on the customs sticker for "value of shipment" to avoid costs and lengthy formalities!
Step 3: Picking up the application folder
Your application file can be picked up either in person upon presentation of the waiver of objection or, if picked up by a third party, with a power of attorney and upon presentation of the ID card of the person authorized to pick it up on the designated dates.
The dates for the collection of your application file depend on corona-related developments.
You will be notified of the dates for pick-up, as well as the procedure and mandatory hygiene requirements, in a separate email in due course.
Postal delivery of your application portfolio is excluded.
The decision on admission to the program is made until the mid of June of the application year at the latest. Please refrain from making inquiries until then!
You will find all information and decisions in your applicant account in CampusNet.
Your application data will be stored for a maximum of 12 months.
At the end of the application period, an entrance examination committee will examine the application folders. The commission is composed of three professors, two members of the intermediate academic staff with voting rights and two students without voting rights.
The commission evaluates the application folders in categories from A to C. Applicants who are rated A can begin their studies in the following winter semester. Applicants who are graded B have the opportunity to take part in a succession procedure. In those cases in which an evaluation is not possible on the basis of the application file alone, applicants will be invited for an interview. The interviews usually take place from mid to end of May.