Study /Information for Students /Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Students at state-run or state-recognized German universities are required to have valid health insurance during their period of study.

When you enrol at the HFBK, you are requested to provide certification from a health insurance company of adequate student health insurance (in triplicate) and, if you have private insurance, a certificate of exemption.

Statutory health insurance

The insurance certification that you submit to us (in the case of German insurance companies, this will be marked: »zur Vorlage bei der Hochschule«, or »für die Einschreibung«) must give your health insurance number, the company’s registration number and the statement »is insured with us«. The university urgently needs to have this data in order to make a declaration to the statutory health insurance institutions concerning the enrolling and exmatriculation of students (§ 200 Paragraph 2 Sozialgesetzbuch /Social Security Code/Ⅴ).

Private health insurance

Students who are insured with a private health insurance company and wish to remain so must obtain exemption from student health insurance. They can do this by presenting proof of private health insurance to the relevant statutory health insurance institution. In the case of a switch from statutory to private health insurance, then the former statutory health insurance institution is responsible. Otherwise, if you are privately insured, the AOK or local public health insurance provider for your place of residence or place of study will make out a certificate of exemption or certificate of freedom to choose health insurance provider.

PLEASE NOTE – Before presenting your exemption certificate, please make sure that you have been fully informed by the statutory health insurance institution about the consequences of your exemption from the insurance requirement, since if you claim an exemption it will remain in place for the whole of the duration of your studies, and cannot be revoked.

International students

Students who have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC – you can apply for an EHIC with your health insurance company free of charge) may submit a copy of this card (front and rear side) as proof of valid health insurance. You must check the extent of your medical cover and the billing and reimbursement of the costs in the event of your receiving medical care in Germany with your health insurance company beforehand.

The EHIC is valid in the following countries: In all EU states (Germany, Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, the UK, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Cyprus) and in Switzerland, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, Croatia and Macedonia. As of 2012, it is also valid in Serbia.

If you are still living outside Germany at the time of enrolling and are not able to sign up for valid healthcare insurance cover until you arrive in Germany, then you may submit proof of valid healthcare cover immediately after your arrival in Germany, by the 31st of October of that year at the latest.
If you are studying in Germany, then travel health insurance is not sufficient.